Would you be ready to move your RV within 15 minutes if there was a fire?
California fires are a reality living in California and during our time here we have seen many fires. With the many fires that are happening right now in Northern California it has been on many people conversations this past week. The poor people who have lost their homes is just so sad.
The fire department came to our campsite just the other day and bought to attention to the owners that some campers have way to many items around their RVs. When you live in your RV full-time you start to collect stuff. Do not be a victim of California Fires and be prepared.
If you can honestly say that you could not move your RV in 15 minutes then you really need to have a rethink about the STUFF in your RV and around it.
We went through our RV and I can proudly say that we could move in 15 minutes having everything packed inside and out.
The only thing that would get left behind would be our tower garden and some plants.
A Place for Everything
In our RV we have a place for everything and the same plan every time we move sites. This is how I start packing inside the house. It normally takes me an hour as I just take my time when I pack away but I can certainly do it in 15 minutes and living in areas where California Fires are a reality, along with tsunamis and earthquakes we have certainly thought of this.
Here are my steps for packing.
1. First thing I do is to pack my wine glasses into a wine glass protection case. This releases a whole cupboard for my pictures and ornaments that I have around my RV.
2. Wrap ornaments in tea towels and place into cupboard that is now empty. This does not take long. I start in one area of the RV and work around so that nothing is missed. All these items fit into that cupboard and then at the front and back I place cushions off the couch for extra safety.
3. My washing machine goes into the shower, and the kitchen trash can go into the bathroom.
4. My shoes go into a box and also into the bathroom on the floor. The shoe rack closes flat on goes onto the couch.
5. My small folding table wheels into the corner where the shoes were along with the coffee table.
6. The printer goes under the dining room chairs.
7. The filing cabinet is put onto the couch.
8. The two swivel chairs go back to back with the cupboard between them so that when the slides come in they have nowhere to go.
9. Carpets are rolled up and put onto the bed.
10. everything in the kitchen fits under the sink, except the knives that go under a chair also in the dining room.
11. Anything on the dressing table in the bedroom fits into the bedroom cupboards.
12. In the bathroom everything left out goes into the sink such as toothbrushes, soaps etc.
I then check that all the cupboards are shut properly and that there is nothing obstructing the slide outs. I start in one spot and go all the way around. We are then ready for the slide outs to come in. One of the things I nearly forgot once was the hangers I have over draws in the kitchen.
Check ever inch and then get someone else to check too.
If you are having to move in a rush then just stay calm and go through mthodically.
1. Stay Calm
2. Make a Plan
3. Have a place for everything
4. Be organised
5. Everything in the RV should have a home in the RV
6. Everything outside of the RV has a home underneath the RV in storage when packing.
The only help I need inside the RV is to put the chairs back to back, everything else I can do very easily whilst my husband Peter does outside disconnecting the pipes and electricity and making sure everything is stored in the understorage compartments.
We have timed ourselves and it is tight but we can do all this in 15 minutes.
Organisation is the key to all of this. If you do not have a place for everything then you will not succeed in getting away in time and saving your home and your life.
Leaving your RV in 2 Minutes
If you do not even get 15 minutes because maybe the fire is just too close, make sure that all your personal papers like passports and birth certificates are altogether and in something that you can pick up and run with and also keep them in a safe that if it burns they are not damaged inside.
This is the one that we have
Make a plan today California Fires is a reality, make sure your can pack up and go within 15 minutes. Fire will not wait for you to pack up.
If you would like to receive my blog regularly then please click the link below and register.